Oct 25, 2008

Hear, Hear

A beautiful earring compliments the side of the face and does wonderful service to hair. A big gold hoop is an invitation to mate; all that sparkles and dangles is an offer to say hey. We haven't seen much earring flash in the past few years, what with all the bangle bracelet noise and Flintstone-esque necklaces. This year's look mirrors the bracelet trends of last year, in mostly lightweight, delicate, and dangling styles, or anything bauble or rope. Just about the only look I dislike is the simple geometric shape, usually a circle or small rectangle, with the designers' names or initials etched in. Yawn to me, but guaranteed to be top sellers.

No matter the style, I can't wear them. My ears fight to heal; my lobes prove a painful battleground between the metal and the flesh, and the flesh never caves. So in the time it takes me to take out a stud and say, "Damn you, ears," the wound has healed. If I want to put the earring back in, I have to use the stud as a needle.

"I want these," I said to my husband, looking at an Annie Adams simple long raindrop loop in sterling with a tiny purple stone. "You can't wear them," he said. "It doesn't matter. I still want them." He walked away.

Earrings, from top: Gucci, Cohen, Gucci, Nak, Yurman

No comments:

Followers