Oct 10, 2008

The Presents

I'm supposed to pick something special out to mark this milestone of survival, something like a watch or a Picasso only no Picassos, really. I fought it. Birthdays - well, mine, anyway - make me on beyond sad, and the less said the better. Every year means I am a year closer to never seeing my kids again, and that completely destroys me to the point of completely detroying me.

Too bad. I lost this argument based on some heirloom reasoning and an inability to form words while choking back tears, and so now I'm looking for a gift my kids can fight over when I'm gone. I am way happier. Here is what I've determined so far.

The Patek Philippe ad dads never look like they would actually reproduce.

I found a pretty watch in a jewelry store. The shop keep said, "People with think it is a Michelle." Ironically, when people say things like that, time hangs suspended in air for a while. My brain goes into over drive; I hold back a smile. Because when inside words mean absolutely zero, then it feels more like a straight line, waiting for the punch. (It's the kind of thing comedian Mitch Hedberg would have killed with, if, well, he did high end jewelry jokes.) Even more ironically, after people say things like that, I have to spendtime finding out what a Michelle is.

So there I was, running out of time, spending time, on time I knew nothing about. And they didn't remember it, but my family had already danced on my watch heart the hear before. I had spotted a Nemoni watch from Storm on the internet: a colored link band with sparkly edging around the face for under $200. Storm, I learned, started as a small retail store in London and has found its way around the world building on a “cult of individuality.” The company sent me a sample to photograph and put in the magazine. I decided to take it out to the Albright's Muse for a little glitter and glow. Showcasing my find in front of my family, I asked rhetorically, “Isn’t this great?

“It would look better on me,” said Lex.

“Isn’t it a little young for you?” mumbled my husband.

No comments:

Followers